What is the relationship between an SSL and TLS? Most of us are familiar with SSL (Secure Socket Layer) but not TLS (Transport Layer Security). Both protocols are used to transmit online data securely between two endpoints. SSL is older than TLS, but all SSL certificates can use both SSL and TLS encryption. TLS is the replacement protocol to SSL as TLS is the updated version of the SSL protocol. TLS operates similarly to SSL by using encryption methods to ensure secure communication.Continue reading “SSL vs TLS”
If you’re using a Windows-based server to host your content, you may using Microsoft’s database server product, MSSQL. However, licensing restrictions can make using MSSQL difficult, especially for small businesses. Microsoft offers a free version of MSSQL called MSSQL Express that will be suitable for many users, but this version does have limitations on database size and memory usage. If you need a more robust database solution but want to try something with a lower cost (like a free, open-source database server), you could try MySQL database server.Continue reading “How to Install MySQL on Windows”
In this tutorial, we will learn how to install the latest kernel version on multiple Linux distributions.
What Is A Kernel
First, let’s define what a kernel is defined as. The Linux kernel is basically the brain of your hardware. Its main purpose is to facilitate communications between your hardware and software. As an example, if an application needs to make a change (say switching the screen resolution of your monitor), the software submits a request to the kernel, and the kernel uses the available video driver options to modify the resolution.Continue reading “How To Install The Latest Kernel Version”
Server 2016 with Windows 10
- Click on the Start button, search for Windows Update and hit Enter.
- Go to View Update History and select Uninstall Updates. Click the update you are wanting to uninstall/remove. (Generally, these are the most recent installs.)
- When the installed update window comes up, you can see the updates by name, KB number, type of program, version, and even the date of installation.
- Select the update and choose Uninstall. Follow the on screen instructions.
- Depending on the update, there may be a need to reboot the server to complete removal.
- While you are still in the Windows Update screen, select the offending update and click Hide Update. ** Once the Update is fixed and it is safe to install, then you can go in and manually install it on your system.
Server 2008R2 and 2012R2 with Windows 7/8
- Go to the Start button and select Control Panel.
- Go to Programs >> Uninstall a program.
- Select the program and right-click to Uninstall.
- Select the update you would like to revert.
- Select Yes to uninstall the selected update.
- Select the Restart Now button.
- While you are still in the Updates screen, select the offending update and right-click, to select Hide Update. ** To re-instate the update you can manually install it on your system.
Rollback a Plugin to a Previous VersionIf you need to test that the command is correct, you can always use the flag –dry-run at the end of the command:
wp plugin update contact-form-7 --version=5.0.5 --dry-runIn the following example, to rollback Contact Form 7, you can use this command:
wp plugin update contact-form-7 --version=5.0.5
Activate A Particular Version of a PluginIf you need to install and activate a previous version of a plugin, run:
wp plugin install contact-form-7 --version=5.0.5 --activate --force
Update All PluginsIf the plugins you updated have been fixed and you now need to update all plugins, the example command is:
wp plugin update --allExcluding A Plugin If you want to update all plugins, but need to exclude a specific plugin (in this case WooCommerce), run command:
wp plugin update --all --exclude=woocommerce
Rollback a Theme to a Previous VersionIf you did need to rollback a parent theme to a previous version, you could use this command example which would rollback the Storefront theme to version 2.4.0:
wp theme update storefront --version=2.4.0
Update Theme to Current Version ReleaseIf you know wanted to update the Storefront theme on a site to the most current version, you could use this command example;
wp theme update storefrontUsing a mix of these WP-CLI commands will enable you to easily rollback a plugin on your site, rollback a theme, or update all plugins. It will also update all plugins, but exclude a specific plugin from being updated. Our Managed WordPress product comes with WP-CLI installed along with easy, automatic updates. Check out how our Managed WordPress platform can streamline your work today!
We recently posted an article on Upgrading MariaDB 10.0 to 10.3.9 on Ubuntu 16.04. We are now going to provide insight on upgrading MariaDB 10.0.X to 10.3.X on a CentOS 7 server. Continue reading “Update MariaDB from 10.0 to 10.3 on CentOS 7”