- This article assumes that you wish to order an SSL certificate through your Manage customer dashboard, or renew a certificate which you previously ordered through Manage.
- For new certificates (non-renewals), you will first need to obtain a Certificate Signing Request (CSR). If you prefer, you can easily generate a CSR through cPanel or Plesk.
Ordering an SSL Certificate in Manage
Log into your Manage dashboard at https://manage.liquidweb.com and click on the Create button at the top left, then select SSL Certificate from the list of options.
You then can paste your CSR into the Manual field on the Order an SSL Certificate screen, select the length of time for which you’d like the certificate to be valid and finally click the Purchase SSL Certificate button to order the certificate and have it charged to your card on file.
There are three ways to do this:
- DNS Record: This method requires you to add a text record (TXT) to the authoritative DNS zone file for the domain. If the site is using Liquid Web nameservers you can do this in Manage by clicking on Domains in the left menu and then selecting the DNS tab.
- HTML Meta Tag: Requires you to create a verification file on the server for the domain. The file must be located on the domain at: /.well-known/pki-validation/gsdv.txt. It should be noted that while this is a txt file the contents will need to be a basic HTML file.
- E-Mail: An automated email will be sent to an authoritative address for the domain containing a link which you can click on to verify the certificate. Please note that the email verification option does not allow you to specify a custom address to which the verification email will be sent, you must choose from among a list of addresses considered to be authoritative, such as firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, etc.
To use one of the manual verification methods, you will need to obtain the verification data to add to the site’s DNS record or site code, or specify the email address to which the verification link will be sent.
To do that, click on Overview in the left menu of your Manage dashboard, click on SSL Certificates under the Services section and then click the Dashboard button.
Click on your domain name and change the Method under the Verification section to your desired method: DNS Record, HTML Meta Tag or E-Mail.
Changing the verification type will show you the record expected for that method, or allow you to select the email address to which the verification link will be sent. Again, please note that the email verification option does not allow you to specify a custom address to which the verification email will be sent, you must choose from among a list of addresses considered to be authoritative, such as email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, etc.
Renewing an SSL Certificate in Manage
To renew an SSL certificate which you previously ordered via Manage, log in and click SSL Certificates under Services near the bottom of the page. Then click the “Dashboard” button:
A “Renew” button will be located to the far right of the domain name covered by the SSL Certificate.
As with new a new order, select the length of time for which you’d like the certificate to be valid and complete the order.