- SSH File Transfer Protocol (SFTP) is the most secure way to upload files to your Managed WordPress site.
- This article is intended specifically for connecting to a Managed WordPress site using the free, cross-platform FTP client FileZilla, but the connection details should apply to any FTP client.
Step #1: Enter the Connection Details
- FTP/SFTP connection details are included in the “Welcome to your new WordPress site” email that was automatically sent to you upon adding the site in the Sites section of your Manage dashboard. In case you don’t have that handy, you will use:
- Host: The domain name or IP address of the site
- Username: The WordPress admin username created when adding the site
- Password: The password you assigned to the WordPress admin user when adding the site
- Port: 22 (Port 21 can be used for a standard FTP connection, but it is not recommended. SFTP should be used for maximum security. All connection details other than the port number are the same either way.)
- In FileZilla, enter the host, username, password, and port into the Quick Connect toolbar and press the Quickconnect button.
Step #2: Security Settings
If your site does not yet have its free standard SSL certificate installed, you will need to click OK to accept the “Unknown host key” message and proceed with the connection. The connection still will be secure, but will be encrypted using the server’s self-signed certificate. When you’re ready to get your site’s free standard SSL certificate ordered and installed, please contact Heroic Support®.
Step #3: Upload Files
Once connected via SFTP, you will be able to securely transfer files to and from the server. You initially will connect to your account’s home directory (/home/username/), and will need to navigate to the appropriate directory for the content you are uploading. In FileZilla, you can paste the desired path directly into the Remote site field. For reference:
- Document root: /home/username/public_html
- Plugins: /home/username/public_html/wp-content/plugins
- Themes: /home/username/public_html/wp-content/themes
- Uploads: /home/username/public_html/wp-content/uploads