II. Understanding Menu Items in File Manager
III. Understanding File Structure in File Manager
IV. How To Create New Files and Folders in File Manager
V. How To Copy and Move Files in File Manager
VI. How To Rename Files in File Manager
VII. How To Upload and Download Files with File Manager
VIII. How To Edit Files with File Manager
IX. How To Change File Permissions with File Manager
X. How To Zip and Unzip Files in File Manager
This tutorial assumes you’ve already logged in to cPanel’s File Manager
- To change the permissions of a file, select it first. Single click on “testfile.html”.
- Click on Change Permissions.
You will see a popup window with some checkboxes. Let’s understand this window first.
There are three type of owners of the file.
- User – means you.
- Group – the users from your website, who have access to these files.
- World – end users who access your site via a web browser.
These are read, write and execute options. Each row give access to read, write and execute files.
In this case, User will have access to read and write this file.
Group will have only read access.
And World will have Read access only.
Please note that unless any particular script needs special permissions, a file should always have 644 permissions, and a Folder should always have 755 permissions.
- To set 755 permissions, just check the boxes appropriately.
- Now click on Change Permissions to apply these changes.