While choosing an operating system for web hosting, most people select between two options: Windows vs Linux hosting. Many factors influence a web developer’s final decision about operating systems.
We will look deeper into the benefits of Linux hosting and Windows hosting, as well as the peculiarities and differences of each. Thus, you will undoubtedly make the right choice for your new website.
What is Windows Hosting?
Windows hosting provides access to the programming and web developing features based on the Windows Operating System (OS). Being one of Microsoft’s well-known products, the Windows OS is very popular among developers and users.
Additionally, the vast area of technical features of Windows hosting is continuously being improved to support more programming languages and scripts.
Why Should I Choose Windows Hosting?
Windows is a more popular brand and is famous for its software and hardware. Windows is constantly updated and improved upon. That is why this OS is often applied to huge organizations with complex IT infrastructures. Large organizations can benefit since Windows hosting requires less training and greater in-house support than Windows can provide.
Additionally, Windows OS is much more customized and adapted to non-developer users as well, so you won’t face any complicated issues on the first steps.
Windows OS is required for the scripting frameworks like ASP.NET, MS-SQL, and .NET Core.
The five primary reasons for choosing Windows hosting are:
- Windows OS is a huge brand of computer hardware and software, which is still incredibly competitive in the technology area. Besides, it is more familiar to users, so they are more willing to purchase its costly license.
- It is easier to set up, as Windows has more customized control panels and a better user interface than Linux.
- If you plan to use MS-SQL, MS Access databases, ASP.NET, or .NET Core on your website, Windows hosting has all the software required.
- Windows hosting supports programming languages such as Perl, Ruby, Python, CGI script, etc.
- You don’t have to deal with using the command line on a Windows server, which can be challenging for beginners.
What is Linux Hosting?
Linux is widespread among users and web developers, mostly used due to its flexibility and security. It is much more stable in comparison to Windows. Also, Linux OS is much faster while running the server commands and can quickly deal with multiple tasks. Furthermore, it is free and open-source software, so you will spend less money working on Linux servers.
The supported development languages of Linux are Perl, PHP, and Python, which are developed with a MySQL database. As both options have been available for quite some time, all these development tools have a large support structure.
Why Should I Choose Linux Hosting?
Some web developers choose Linux for launching their platform, which has the following four advantages:
- Linux OS is a reliable operating system. It can adapt quickly to any environment and is much more effective since it supports various programming languages like Perl, Ruby, Python, CGI script, etc.
- You don’t need to know Linux for using Linux hosting, making it much more accessible to a wider audience.
- Linux OS is considered a safe option, as it’s an open-source platform.
- The shared hosting allows you to save more money, since you don’t have to purchase additional license fees.
What Are My Management Panel Options?
When it comes to the management panel or control panel, choosing between Windows and Linux does matter.
cPanel is widely used on all Linux-based hosting packages and is the industry standard. Here’s the list of reasons why users choose cPanel:
- cPanel supports a wide range of third-party add-ons.
- cPanel allows you to handle most of the server administration work via GUI (graphical user interface).
- cPanel has support for Ruby on Rails, NodeJS, server-side Java, DNSSEC, and git version control.
- cPanel has per-account licensing which makes this control panel a very expensive option.
- Plesk supports an extensive range of server operating systems.
- Plesk allows end users to schedule regular backups.
- Plesk also has support for Ruby on Rails, NodeJS, server-side Java, DNSSEC and git version control.
- Plesk standard server license is more affordable than cPanel.
- InterWorx has a single license type supporting all features.
- InterWorx offers full clustering support.
- You can schedule account backups with InterWorx.
- InterWorx is inexpensive in comparison to other control panels.
Due to its compatibility with PHP and MySQL databases, Linux is considered the best option for your WordPress, Drupal, Joomla, or WooCommerce websites because the website builder platforms are built specifically for Linux.
cPanel meets all users’ requirements for blogs, wikis, and eCommerce websites. You will also get a smooth website launch and efficient management.
Which One Should I Choose?
The final decision on which operating system to choose still depends on your personal preferences, needs, and how you will interact with the hosting package. It is crucial to understand each operating system’s significant differences and unique peculiarities to make the most of your web hosting right now.
We hope the information provided about Linux vs Windows hosting will help you choose the best option that meets your needs and expectations. Contact us now to consult about the most efficient option for your website!
David Richards has been an educator, a Technology Director, and now a Windows Administrator for 20+ years. He’s an English major with a love for technology and helping others find ways to use technology more effectively. In his free time, Dave loves to read, play games, and spend time his family.
Keep up to date with the latest Hosting news.