As your business’s website grows, you may need to move from a virtual private server (VPS) to a dedicated server to accommodate increased traffic and ensure optimal performance. But how do you know when it's time to make the switch? Explore the key differences between VPS and dedicated hosting, their benefits and drawbacks, and when it makes sense to move from VPS to dedicated hosting for your business’s website.
VPS vs Dedicated Hosting
VPS hosting works on a cluster of parent servers, where your website is hosted in an isolated environment alongside other servers configured on the parent. With VPS hosting, your allocated resources are yours, but you share server resources such as central processing unit (CPU) power and memory with other servers hosted on the same server.
Conversely, dedicated hosting gives the user the entire server and its included resources for their private use. This means that you don't have to share server resources with other servers and have more control over how those resources are used.
Benefits and Drawbacks of VPS Hosting
VPS hosting is a good option for organizations that do not experience frequent traffic spikes. From small businesses to mid-sized organizations with predictable traffic patterns and storage needs, a VPS can be a great choice for a very long time. VPS hosting is also relatively affordable, a major advantage for small businesses working with tight budgets.
However, VPS hosting does have some drawbacks. By sharing underlying parent server resources with other provisioned servers, you are limited to your allocated resources. Suppose your VPS is limited, for example, to 4GB of memory. In that case, you will be limited to only 4GB of memory, even if the server upon which your VPS resides has 64GB of memory available.
A study by Akamaireported that even a one-second delay in page load times yields:
- 11% fewer page views
- 16% decrease in customer satisfaction
- 7% decrease in conversions
This kind of negative impact can (and likely will) lead to a loss of revenue.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Dedicated Hosting
Dedicated hosting offers several advantages over VPS hosting. Because you have your own server, dedicated hosting has a higher potential for better performance than VPS hosting. You can enjoy more security with dedicated hosting than with VPS hosting since you can deeply configure security settings.
Dedicated hosting is, however, more expensive than VPS hosting and may not be necessary for small or medium-sized businesses with moderate traffic to their website.
When To Move From VPS To Dedicated
There are many circumstances for which it may make sense to move from VPS to dedicated hosting for your business website. Some of these include the following:
- Business growth: As your business grows and you start seeing more traffic to your website, you may need more resources than a VPS can provide. If your website is growing faster than expected, it may be time to switch to dedicated hosting to accommodate the increased traffic.
- Need for more resources: If you require more server resources (such as CPU power and memory), you may need a dedicated server to run your website effectively.
- Future-proofing: If you anticipate that your website will continue to grow and need more resources in the future, it may be a good idea to transition to dedicated hosting now in order to avoid having to deal with the complexity of switching later.
- When making other IT investments: If you're making other IT investments that will require more server resources (such as adding new features or applications to your website), you may need to upgrade to dedicated hosting to support these different applications and storage needs.
- Security and compliance have become an issue: If security or compliance is a concern for your business, dedicated hosting may be a better option than VPS hosting since you'll have more control over the security of your server.
- Data privacy needs have changed: If your data policy changes, sharing a server with other websites may compromise your ability to comply with that policy.
Making the Business Case
The following three examples show how switching to dedicated hosting can improve the success of your company:
The biggest reason to switch to a dedicated hosting server is for improved performance. A VPS shares resources with other users on the same server, which can lead to a slower speed and decreased uptime. Dedicated hosting servers don't have this problem because they're not sharing resources – meaning your site will load faster and more reliably.
Another reason to consider a dedicated hosting server is for improved security. You share an IP address with other users when you're on a VPS. This makes it more difficult to track down malicious activity and makes your site more vulnerable to attack. Dedicated hosting servers give you your own IP address, making it easier to secure your site and keep it safe from harm.
Finally, dedicated hosting servers offer more control than hosting on VPS. With a VPS, you're at the mercy of the hosting provider regarding things like updates and security patches. Dedicated hosting allows you to manage your own server, which means you can install updates and patches as soon as they're available. This gives you the peace of mind that comes with knowing your site is always up to date and secure.
Making the Transition From VPS to Dedicated Hosting
If you've decided that it's time to transition from VPS to dedicated hosting for your business website, there are a few steps to take beforehand:
- First, you'll need to choose a dedicated server provider. There are many different providers to choose from, so be sure to research and select one that will meet your needs.
- Next, you'll need to set up your server. This process will vary depending on your provider, but you'll generally need to select the operating system, applications, and other software you want to use.
- Finally, you'll need to migrate your website from your VPS to your dedicated server. This process will also vary depending on your provider, but you'll generally need to transfer your website files and database to your new server.
Liquid Weboffers best-in-class support for dedicated server hosting. Available with Linux or Windows operating systems, the dedicated servers come with Proactive Sonar Monitoring™ and ServerSecure hardening.
Contact one of the Most Helpful Humans In Hosting® today to learn more.
A veteran of the IT Support field, I have more than a decade of experience in systems administration, web hosting, and cPanel servers. I enjoy writing and providing complicated technical concepts in layman terms. On my free time, I enjoy playing several types video games, automation scripting and just living life with my wife and two kids.
Keep up to date with the latest Hosting news.