The Holiday shopping season is upon us! While consumers are powering up their laptops, tablets, and phones, retailers should be metaphorically battening down the hatches to prepare for the onslaught of Holiday traffic. Is your e-commerce site ready for the craziness that is the Holiday shopping season? We’re ready to help you prepare your site with a few tips – and of course, our Heroic Support team is always standing by to talk about any of the below technologies!
Tip #1: Optimize Your Hosting Infrastructure
One of the leading causes of shopping cart abandonment is a slow website. Customers expect websites to perform on the scale of milliseconds and are quick to give up and try other sites when the performance is subpar. Worse than a slow website, however, is a down website. Fortunately there are a number of ways to improve your site’s performance and prepare it to handle the overwhelming surge of traffic during the Holiday season.
- Cloud Hosting allows for easy resource scaling up or down as your e-commerce site enjoys the surge of Holiday shopping. Scale up just before your traffic spikes, and scale down once the Holiday traffic subsides.
- Content delivery networks improve the speed of your site by bringing your content closer to your customers across the globe. CDNs continuously pull and cache content from your server and distribute it to secure servers around the world. Increase throughput and serve more customers, all while reducing the time it takes for your site to load.
- Load balancers help to distribute traffic across multiple servers preventing downtime when individual servers fail.
Tip #2: Secure Your Site
Consumer trust isn’t something you want to mess with. Making sure your site is secure, and your customer’s financial data is secure, is vital to a successful Holiday shopping season. If a customer doesn’t feel safe on your site, they will likely click away.
- SSL Certificates keep your site secure with a strong encryption, protecting any sensitive data you are collecting. SSL certificates are now the standard for safety online and consumers have come to expect them on any page in which they are entering private data.
- PCI Compliance, or compliance with the Payment Card Industry’s Data Security Standards, certifies your organization has taken all the necessary steps to protect your customers’ sensitive data when shopping online.
- Firewalls can help protect your site from the ever-looming threat of malware, viruses, and malicious Internet traffic. Firewalls constantly scan your server’s activity and are designed to adapt to new threats via signature-based intrusion prevention without slowing down your traffic.
- Go Above and Beyond and add ServerSecure Plus to your hosting infrastructure. If you’ve finished securing your site with the necessary basics, consider taking it one step further. With ServerSecure Plus, the Liquid Web Heroic Support team can help you further scan and secure your e-commerce site.
Tip #3: Back up, Back up, Back up!
While we hope you won’t have to use it, having up-to-date, secure, offsite backups are critical during the Holiday shopping season. If disaster occurs, you want to rest easy knowing your database of important customer information is safe and easily restored in minutes.
Tip #4: Have a Solid Support Team
Preparation is key, but it’s hard to prepare for everything. In the event of downtime, having a support team that you can rely on is invaluable. Onsite, around the clock support and 24/7 monitoring of your site’s performance can be the difference between success and stress during the Holiday season.
The Holiday shopping season can be stressful, but not if you’re ready. These tips are sure to prepare your site for the high traffic and sales expected over next few weeks. If you’d like to learn more about these technologies or find out how you can optimize your e-commerce site, our Heroic Support team is available 24/7/265 via Live Chat or at 1-800-580-4985.
Liquid Web wishes your retail site a happy and profitable Holiday shopping season!